New Name

UNDER THE ROSE has a new name its.......BY THE SEAM.
I had trouble with the old web address so thought it would be best to change it.
Thanks for coming by and please leave me a comment so I know that you were here. Marlene

October 31, 2009

Gee's Bend Quilts





Two years ago a friend bought me this book. I have looked at it many times and the more I look at it the more I love the quilts in this book. Susan of Hanging On by a Needle and Thread posted a video of the "Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show", which featured some of these women.(click on sisters outdoor for the link). Their stories are one of hardship and determination. They loved to make quilts and used whatever they had or could get their hands on.







I have seen quite a bit about them on the internet here and there. I know that Hancocks of Paducah now have some patterns available and also have some of the plain fabric reproduced. These quilts are fantastic when you consider that they made them from nothing because they had nothing. I wish I could put more photos from the book up but there just isn't room here.

I haven't really read the whole book, but every time I pick it up I read a little more about them. I hope you will all watch Susan's video on the quilt show. I will continue to enjoy this book for a long time and hopefully it will be some inspiration to me.




These are quilts from later years.

And Happy Birthday to my Mom....today.

10 comments:

Susan said...

I love the Gees Bend quilts and the stories behind them. I didn't realize that there were patterns available! Hmmm...so many projects, so little time!

Marlene said...

I got this book as a birthday present a few years ago. The stories of the women are a great inspiration, not only for sewing but for living.
I was lucky enough to see some of the quilts when they toured Australia-the one I really wanted to buy was sold but I will check out the patterns.
Continue to enjoy reading.

Quiltluver said...

Sound like I should check out the book. Thanks for the info. Karen

Anonymous said...

The GB quilts have such wonderful stories connected to them.... you have quite a treasure in that book!

Vesuviusmama said...

A couple years ago, the post office ran some Gee's Bend Quilt stamps. I bought MANY, but I think I used them all, unfortunately. I wish I had kept some. Maybe some of the people I wrote to saved the envelopes...

Mamma Bears Fault said...

Hey Lady!

You have been officially HUGGED! I don't give wussy little hugs either - I give the type where you know you're loved, aka bear hugs!

Take care and as always thanks for boppin' by and saying hello! I'm always checkin' in, just terrible at saying hello! - Hope all is well-Elizabeth

Molly said...

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that. Tell your Mom Happy Birthday from me, I'm glad she is doing so well.

Lis Harwood said...

I read about GB in a quilting magazine but didn't know there was a book....off to add it to my Christmas list, thanks for letting me know about it, great stuff.

Kim said...

I live not so far from Gee's Bend. It is really an isolated place and that is one of the reasons why the quilts are so astounding to me. They were created without influence from any source other than the creativity of the women themselves. The stories behind each quilt are amazing. Alabama Public TV did a documentary about them and it was wonderful.

http://www.aptv.org/AS/GeesBend/index.asp

QuiltChick said...

That is a great book. I was lucky enough to see some of the quilts in a museum a few years ago.