New Name

UNDER THE ROSE has a new name its.......BY THE SEAM.
I had trouble with the old web address so thought it would be best to change it.
Thanks for coming by and please leave me a comment so I know that you were here. Marlene

December 30, 2010

Memories of Christmas Past

When I was growing up my brother and I used to play in the cemetery  a lot. The cemetery is right behind our house. In the Summer we would play hide n seek and in the winter have snowball fights. after dark was the best time. There were usually 5 or 6 of us and quiet often more. During the day time in the winter we would use that wonderful hill for our sleds. Sometimes more than half the kids in town would be there. We were usually there all day every day that we could be or until Dad whistled for us to come and have supper. We never even thought maybe we shouldn't use the cemetery for a play ground. It is an extremely small town and not much to do or any place to go there. That was it, the best hill ever.


One year my parents got us a 6 foot toboggan for Christmas. The boys had built a ramp out of the snow because they wanted a ski jump. We would get 4 or 5 of us on the toboggan, get a push and over the ski jump and down the hill, crashing most of the time. Then lay there in the snow and laugh. I do need to tell you that there were not as many tombstones then as there is now. That hill used to be bare but there were a few graves at the bottom of the hill. One time 3 of us went at breakneck speed down the hill on the toboggan and smacked into one of the tombstones so hard that we bounced and flew off. We were fine and we didn't hurt a thing, not even the toboggan. We had so many hours of fun on that toboggan. I wonder what my Dad was thinking when he bought it. That is also the only Christmas I remember my Dad and Mom going Christmas shopping together.

Mom and I had a good laugh about all of this while I was there so I took a photo of the hill. Then I forgot about it until I talked to Mom last night so I thought I would share it with you. I think that was my best Christmas ever because I have enjoyed it many times and not just that one time. Thanks for listening.

6 comments:

Lis Harwood said...

This time of year seems to bring back memories and it's a lovely time to share them too. Thank you for this story, I think the people in the graves would share your enjoyment of "their" place, even though to the adult mind it might seems rather sacreligious! Have a happy new year and make lots of new memories.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Liz, yes now that I am an adult it does seem a bit sacrilegious but we were kids and the cemetery was like my back yard. We were never allowed to disturb any thing at all and we always tried to straighten things that looked messy because of lack of attention.

Amy said...

I never went sledding at cemetary, but one time my kids were sledding and the girls let go of the sled and only "bub" was on it... mind you he was like 3...I was at the bottom trying to stop the sled,I slid and fell.The hard headed lil booger slid right under a parked car... I was so scared.. he was having a ball though..sometimes it is the memories of strange things that make us smile. love ya! Amy

Linda said...

That's a great story and full of wonderful memories! It's nice so nice that you and your mom still have a good laugh about it! Thanks so much for sharing! Have a very Happy New Year!!

Quiltluver said...

Great story. I think it would have been fun to live next to a cemetary when growing up. The local cemetary is our favorite place for my DH and I go walking through during the warmer months.

Quiltluver said...

P.S. Happy New Year!