A month or so ago I went to this nice little shop a couple of hours from here. It was a wonderful shop and she was supposed to have a lot of silk ribbon but when I was there she was about out of ribbon. We got to talking and she suggested that I dye my own. She said that she had problems getting it too and that is why she started to dye her own. I came home and started looking into it.
I just dyed my second batch today. By batch I mean like a few pieces. I wasn't sure what I was doing so I started small. Actually I started yesterday and was very discouraged about the whole thing. This morning I got up and thought just do it. It worked out much better today for several reasons. One reason is I mixed the acid dye up by taking 1 teaspoon of dye for 8 ounces of water, it has to be boiling water and started there. Secondly, I used a regular artists paint brush instead of the sponge brushes that I was first advised to use. I may have gotten the wrong sponge brushes.
Now granted this dye job isn't all that great but believe me there is not much information on dyeing your own silk ribbon and if there is then they are using a different dye and a different process. I think I am going to enjoy this and I will improve at it, I hope. This photo isn't too good but at least you can get the general idea. If you click on the photo it will make it bigger so you can see.