New Name

UNDER THE ROSE has a new name its.......BY THE SEAM.
I had trouble with the old web address so thought it would be best to change it.
Thanks for coming by and please leave me a comment so I know that you were here. Marlene

July 10, 2009

Another Toad and Coffee Grounds!





Every morning I go out to the veggie garden to check my squash plant for those pesky squash bugs. They are so hard to get rid of and it takes an every day check to stay ahead of them. This morning I went out there and started checking the plant over and I saw this rather large toad. We do seem to have a lot of them this year. I wish he would get the squash bugs, they are probably too nasty for him too.



Hubby and I had to go into the city last night to do some things and I thought since it was so hot an Iced Mocha would be good. I need the decaff so off to Starbucks we went. We don't go in there too often but as you walk in they had a big bucket filled with bags of used coffee grounds and a sign that read. 'Good For Your Garden'. Hubby loves free stuff so we took them. Besides I knew that coffee grounds were good for the soil and ours could use some help. My green peppers are not doing too well and someone told me they need the nitrogen. We took what they had. I put some grounds around my pepper plants this morning as it was trying to rain. I really should start a compost pile.






This is a lily I have that looks more like a Bird of Paradise when it is flowering and the leaves look more like an Iris . The flowers leave a big seed pod and look like a berry. I thought they were unusual when I first saw them and just had to have it. Maybe some of you have heard of them before or even have one.


Happy Gardening!




4 comments:

Shirley said...

I'm a terrible gardener. I think I have a black thumb instead of a green one but your lilly sure is pretty.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Isn't it a pretty little flower? I think it has an orchid look too. Not heard of coffee for the garden before! Guess the plants will get a good hit after that!!

Quiltluver said...

I have to look for squash bugs in my garden?? The things you learn from fellow bloggers. Thanks Karen

cottonreel said...

Your suash bugs and my lily beetles have give us both a hard time,At present I have just flowers ,no veg--cottonreel