New Name

UNDER THE ROSE has a new name its.......BY THE SEAM.
I had trouble with the old web address so thought it would be best to change it.
Thanks for coming by and please leave me a comment so I know that you were here. Marlene

May 26, 2009

An Orphaned Quilt Top



I bought this quilt top at an auction several months ago. I liked it because of all the red in it and it was an older top that has been around. Someone spent all that time hand sewing it and then never had the chance to put it all together. I just finished the binding on it over the weekend.
The quilter in me said to "square it up" but I couldn't bring myself to do it. It is a bit wiggly on the sides but not too bad. I tied it with different colors of cotton embroidery floss, since I have a lot of it and there are so many different colors in the top.

One of the fabrics that they used is a very loose weave and pulls easily. I have already repaired one of the patches and I see that I will have another one soon. I won't be using this quilt much but I did want to finish it off. It deserved to be finished. I don't know who made it or how long ago but some of the fabric is rather old.


A few of the patches were pieced to make them big enough. The squares are 2 1/2 inches and the quilt is approximately 73 x 86. So it is a good sized quilt. So I guess that is another UFO finished.

7 comments:

Angela said...

Gorgeous! You are right, it deserved to be finished! What a treasure! I completed several UFOs like that for a friend of mine, and I love working on them and wondering who created them and what else might have been going on in their lives when they were working on them. :o) Great job!

Susan said...

What a treasure! It's a shame that there isn't more to the story of the beginning of this quilt, but at least it has an ending now. Make sure that you put a label on it!

Molly said...

How very nice of you to do that. It somehow makes me feel like you made the quilt come alive again. I think I would have to take a nap on the couch and use this quilt just one time, then it would feel like a real quilt. I know I have goofy ideas about things 8>)

Debbie said...

How lucky you are to get to finish it and make more memories. I know I hope someone some day finishes all of my starts! lol

grandmarockton said...

glad to know someelse can't CUT to square up! love the quilt anyway.

Seams to Sew and Quilt said...

What a treasure you have there. Have fun finishing it.

Rosa-Munda said...

Beautiful quilt! Ros