New Name

UNDER THE ROSE has a new name its.......BY THE SEAM.
I had trouble with the old web address so thought it would be best to change it.
Thanks for coming by and please leave me a comment so I know that you were here. Marlene

May 9, 2009

Selvage Edge Quits

I have been watching Karen Griska's blog and I really like the quilts and things people are making with the selvages edges. I, like so many other people have felt bad over the years for throwing away my selvage edges out and always wondered if there was something else I could do with them. Never dawned on me to make a quilt with them. Smart lady Karen Griska is.

I am just now getting started and have just gotten her book. I am looking through all of my scraps to find selvage edges. Some of them are small but you can sew some together and they will work well for corners if I do a block on the diagonal. The first thing I do from now on when cutting fabric is to cut off the selvages about 1 1/2 inches so they will be big enough to use. Like she said in the book, what better way to have a quilt made of all the quilts you have made and if it doesn't turn out too good well so what, you were only going to throw aways those edges anyway.

I am going to have to find someone that will be willing to give me some selvage edges to help me out.

Check out her site:
http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Angela said...

That site has quite a bit of selvage inspiration, doesnt it? Wow! I have such a small stash - I wish I had more selvages, but most of my fabric is actually scraps, unless I buy something specific for a new project. I will keep an eye out for selvages to save for you, tho! :o)

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Thank you so much Angela

Jocelyn said...

I too have a very small stash of selvages. But it is fun to start saving them. Saves the land fills :-)

Jocelyn

Jodi Nelson said...

Can't wait to see what you make with your selvages! ooxx`jodi

Shirley said...

What a neat idea. I've heard of this but never seen anything made with them. I saw a blanket made of cigar wrappers on Antiques Roadshow once. It was worth a fortune. I wonder if some brands of selvages are worth more than others? Interesting.